Android, android and android! Everywhere in the market you find android phones. Android phones have replaced all other phones with their awesome look and features. Even the prices have reduced very drastically. But the most worrying thing in android phones is the battery life. Most of them rarely last more than a day. This makes us use the android battery very judiciously.
So, to use the battery of your phone more judiciously, you should be aware of all the ways which drain your battery. And also how to prevent the battery drain. Here is a checklist, you may find useful, to save battery in android phones. I have touched almost all the possible tips but still if something is missing, let me know through comments.
Tips to Prevent Battery Drain in Android Phones
1. Avoid using unnecessary widgets and live wallpapers. They drain battery very much.
2. There are few apps which drain more battery than others. Find some other alternate app(s) and avoid using such battery draining apps.
3. Don’t place your phone in heat. When temperature around the phone is high, the battery drains very quickly. So think twice when placing your phone inside your car which is standing in the hot sun!
4. Use airplane or flight mode when required. When you don’t use your phone (like in a meeting or class), better turn on the airplane mode which saves the most your battery.
5. Don’t run too many apps in the background.
6. If none of the above and below tips work for you, then consider buying spare battery.
7. I know how much it’s irksome to keep a spare battery and replace it in your phone everytime. Try power banks instead (also called portable charger, see above image). You can get power banks online for low cost and charge your android phone anytime anywhere.
8. Reduce screen brightness and use vibration mode only when required.
9. If your phone is rooted then you can try some special apps (like Greenify) which helps in reducing battery drain. You can also consider flashing your phone with some custom ROM (like CyanogenMod) which utilizes your battery more efficiently.
10. Check whether you have your wifi turned on. If it’s on, then turn it off as it drains your battery a lot.
11. Nothing drains your battery faster than the hotspot or bluetooth tethering in your phone. See that it’s not turned on.
12. Internet especially 3G and 4G utilizes more battery. When you do not require high speeds (for normal browsing), better to use 2G instead of 3G and 4G.
13. Dual SIM phones use more battery than single ones. If you don’t use the second SIM often, then consider deactivating it whenever it is possible.
14. When your phone is in Roaming, there is continuous switching between different networks. Your phone searches for network signal very often which drains more battery. So, if you don’t find signal in an area, better to turn the phone off or ON the airplane mode while in Roaming.
15. From above tip you may have known by now that even if you are in your home network but if you have poor signal then also it may drain more battery (phone constantly searches for signal). So use such SIMs which have full strength signal in your area.
16. If you don’t require stop GPS and location detection in the phone.
17. Reduce your screen timeout to minimum.
18. Make use of standby mode. Simply press the power button and your phone goes into standby mode.
19. Reduce notification frequency of the apps. Notifications at an interval of 1 hour is sufficient for most of the apps (may not be applicable to whatsapp, hike, facebook etc).
20. Update your apps. Applications often get updated to use less battery power. But turn off automatic updates. Few apps get updates very frequently and if automatic updates is turned on, then there will always be something running in the background to drain your battery. So once every month update all your apps manually.
21. Few people even say, Use darker themes and darker apps.
22. Use batteries recommended by your phone manufacturing brand. Though third party batteries are cheap and easy to get, using them may not work well with your device.
23. If there is Power Saving Mode option in your phone (present in few phones with latest android updates), then use it.
24. Turn off auto sync option for your Google accounts, Dropbox and other cloud services.
25. You can also root your phone and remove all those blotware which come pre-installed in your phone. Some of those apps use more battery and are often unnecessary.
26. Stop continuously playing games, music and watching videos for long time. The more you do these things, the more the battery gets drained.
27. While taking photos use the camera and the flash very judiciously.
28. Never overcharge your battery. Some say that it decreases your battery life and you get poor performance from it. Check it out and see if true or not.
29. Use good phones. Phone manufacturers cannot always be trusted. Battery measuring units(mAh) being same, some phones give better battery power than others. So, choose good ones.
30. If your ultimate goal is to save the battery, just switch the phone off!
If you follow all these tips, then surely there is no use of owning an android phones. It will be same like using the earlier box type phones. What’s the point in owning an android and not using GPS, 3G, Hot-spot, multiple apps, auto sync etc? Right? So just follow those things which you think are necessary and applicable to you. Now do you have in your head, few more awesome tips to save battery in android phones. Then you are genius man! Awaiting your tips in the comments.
Photo credit: Japan resor